Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Lot of Fun Stuff And One Scary Drive!

We've had a big, fun, busy week! Wednesday we took 4 of the 5 kids to Leavenworth to go sledding- the 5th stayed the night with Grandma. We had a great time- well most of us. My baby's feet got so cold that he couldn't stand anymore- only he didn't want me to hold him either. He just had no idea what was wrong with him. I took him inside of Starbucks where he proceeded to scream until I undressed him down to his t-shirt and pants. This allows the extremities to warm slowly and cools the core a little- it's less painful. Then he was just MAD at me for about half an hour. When his feet quit hurting I got my happy boy back! We had such a good time that we didn't leave Leavenworth until 11 pm. We got home at 1 am!
The next day Jesse and Sebastian were back up Hwy 2 to go skiing. Jess said he had a fun time this year. I wish there was some way that we could get all the kids skiing. It would be a great family activity.
On Thursday I took my other kids to see my mom. I ended up taking just my girls to Wal-Mart. There is a particular Wally's near my mom's house that I hate. It is huge. It is crowded. There are at least 3 different sources of stimulation aside from just the clothes in each department. This particular store puts me into sensory overload. Can you say Wal-Mart Rage? Anyway, I went there. It was just going to be a quick in and out trip. Guess who locked the keys in the car?! Yep, right there in the driver's seat of my locked car were my keys! And my honey was skiing.... I managed to get ahold of my mom who got ahold of my brother in law who got me the spare since he was driving near my house on his way from work....
After the Wal-Mart business, I got a sitter and took my mom out to dinner and we did some sale shopping.
Friday we managed to stay home.
Yesterday we went back to Leavenworth- only we stopped at the same horrid Wally's and got snow boots! The baby NEVER needed to go in! He didn't even want to. We sledded like crazy! We finally left Leavenworth at 11 pm. This time there was a couple of inches of snow on the road. Not too bad to drive on actually. It was nice and dry and calm at that hour. Then we got to the pass.... The wind was blowing SO hard. The plows had been through and scraped the roads down to the ice, and the wind was picking the loose snow up and blowing it back into the car windshield. It was ZERO visibility at some points. The only reference point was the snow bank that we were trying to stay out of. Off the top of the pass was better, but it had been snowing down the West side all day and the road was a slushy mess until Baring.
Anyway we made it home safe at 1:30am!
Now, today, we're going to find a new adventure!


Karen said...

I'm sure it was fun. I love Leavenworth. I hate that Wallys too and now it is even further from me- yeah! I would love to get all of my kids into skiing too, but it is SOOO expensive for a family of 6. I prefer to eat and have heat in my home!!!

Trish said...

Glad you didn't take any side roads and end up having to have a search and rescue........
How did Caleb's boots turn out?
I'm a little jealous that you can just drop your kids off at moms and then return and take her to dinner. Not fair.
I really want to take up skiing again also. I have been slowly (2-3times per year) getting back into it and teaching Ben also. Maybe this is the year i include Cooper. Dave doesn't ski and he's kindof at that 'old dog, new tricks' stage, so I don't know if he ever will, but maybe someday.
Glad you had fun and made it home safe.

cookie said...

I want to go to Leavenworth!!! And Yes I Know all too well about Wal-Mart RAGE!!!!! haha