Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Monday, January 28, 2008
Thursday, January 24, 2008
They look good now, because all the kids are at school. Sometimes, though, I scoop everything out of the bench area to the floor and say "Fix that, please."
These are the little catch-all bins on the top. Notice the color coded names?
Or maybe Laundry:
These are the sorting bins. Everyone is responsible to get the laundry from their room and the bathroom down and sorted by Sunday night. Monday Mornings these are heaped over the top.
The labels are easy enough for the non literate 3 and 5 year olds.And of course these were the largest noncommercial units we could fit in our budget. I love them. They go with me if I ever move.
The bath towels and dishes are even color coded!
These ones have recently been downgraded to picnic/camping dishes.
Sebastian HATES them. He goes on a search and (almost) destroy mission when he sees my box out.
Here is why I own sharpies:
- Because I like 'em! I have a slight office supply fetish.
- Because every child in our house has an assigned color (toothbrush, towel, dishes, etc.) and if I can't get it in their color I can at least write it in their color. They all learned to read and spell their own names through color association.
- Because all socks at our house- except for the mom and dad ones- are marked on the sole with an initial. You can't do that with color crayon or ball point pen! It makes matching all those white (the principal color) socks much easier.
- Because I have 2 girls who are the same size and insist on matching- but "We're NOT twins!" I label a lot of their clothes with an initial on the tag.
- Because at the beginning of the school year EVERYTHING (including your kid's left butt cheek) needs to be signed or labeled.
- Because the micro tip ones are perfect for signing your credit/debit cards- again, way better than ball point!
- Because when my kid comes home from school saying, "Oh, Mom, tomorrow is Western Day at school. I wanna dress up." I can whip up a couple of these babies!
Notice the fine "stitching"
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Also, check back for the voting- so you can vote for me!!!!!
I tried to install my printer which will just upload my pictures straight to "my pictures", but alas, there is something wrong with the full feature driver. I had to install the software that goes with my camera and take the long way around the problem. Here you go, Lee Ann.
The Last ones are Jonah being cute because I got my camera out.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Until tomorrow, blogging friends!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
The original plan was make dinner, go to swim, come home and eat, then go to church. In reality it went something like this:
"Ok, kiddos! get in the car we have to go to swim... NOW!"
"Ma'am, your kids are in our next class."
"Uh...Ok. Sit down. Stop running. Take your toes out of the water. "
"Mom, I'm Bored. And since I had to take a shower to get into the pool, I'm cold."
"I know, baby."
"Hey, sit down. You too, and you!"
"Mom, how much longer?"
"No, baby, you have to sit on mommy. I don't want you to fall in."
"Hey, sit down. No. Stop."
"Mom, how much longer?"
"Um, 5 minutes."
"That's no so long, is it mom?"
"Okay, I need Elizabeth, Caleb, and Abigail!"
"Okay, Jesse, Over here!"
Swim, swim, swim
"Ok guys go get changed and hurry because we still have to eat!"
"Mom! Mom! Hey Mom! I can't find my underwear!"
"I know, you dropped it out here."
"Well could you bring it to me?"
"Uh, no, that's the men's locker room. Come get it."
"I'm already naked!"
"Never mind. Girls? Are you ready? Hurry please!"
"Ok, mom. I'm ready. I just went commando."
"Great. Here take these. Girls, I'm leaving!"
RUN to the car!
Eat dinner as fast as ravenous wolves.
Find AWANA books and vests.
Drive (a little) too fast to church.
Whew. Only 15 minutes late!
Ok, so I learned that dinner has to be before swim on Tuesdays, and I should bring a snack for the ride to church!
Monday, January 7, 2008
Sunday, January 6, 2008
I have always been a night owl. In high school and college I could easily pull off an all nighter at least once a week.
Lately, though, this night owl thing is getting out of hand.
Last night I went to Linens-n-things, out to Target, and grocery shopping- and I didn't even leave my house until 8 pm. I can defend the grocery shopping because the only thing in my fridge was condiments- literally. If grocery shopping was all I had done I could have been in bed by 11 pm. In reality it was more like 1am. I HAD to leave, though, because I have been building up to a seriously Bad Mom Day- and I was about to blow! I took a mini vacation. I feel better today- but tired.
I don't think there were more than two nights over Christmas break that I was in bed before midnight. I have been seriously sleep deprived for the last 2 weeks.
But here's the real problem. After the kids (and my husband) go to bed I go on line and read blogs and write posts for mine! This is VERY time consuming. But the house is so peaceful and quiet. I just want to read one more blog and savor all this quiet a little longer....
P.S. Even "today" has already magically turned into "tomorrow".
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Just yesterday I had my kids pretested for swim class which starts next week. After the test I ENROLLED four of them in the appropriate classes. Then I came home and started filling in my calendar for January. I do keep a master schedule for my family on the kitchen wall.
Oh boy! Tuesday now looks like this:
7:00 am Jesse leaves for school.
8:40 am Caleb and Elizabeth leave for school.
8:45 am Abigail, Jonah, and Mommy leave for Mops.
12:45 pm Abigail, Jonah, and Mommy come home from Mops, eat lunch, take naps, fold laundry....
2:40 pm Jesse comes home from school. Start the daily homework struggle (I get mad as he stalls. I get madder, he stalls more....).
3:30 pm Caleb comes home from school. Libby goes to rock climbing club.
4:30 pm Pick Libby up from rock climbing club.
5:00 pm Take kids to swim lessons.
5:30 pm Rush home to change, eat dinner.
6:30 pm Rush to AWANA.
7:00 to 8:15 pm Veg at my computer, go on a date with my husband, or run errands.
8:30 pm Pick up kids from AWANA and scoot them home for a snack and bed.
What, oh what, have I done.
At least this is the way it will be for January. Libby will be done with rock climbing club at the end of the month- but there is always the chance that Caleb could be drawn for a slot in the next session of it. In February I will try to get Monday-Wednesday lessons instead of Tuesday-Thursday.
Oh well. I want them to swim this summer. I said it myself!
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
- I vow to feel guilty at least twice a month for going to Starbucks when I could have made my coffee for MUCH cheaper at home.
- I vow to be irrational at least once a month. I vow to cry for no apparent reason and then lose my cool when my husband tells me I am being silly.
- I vow to feel bad after I keep the second resolution.
- I vow to lose my temper with one of my kids at least 3 times a week.
- I vow to kiss that child and feel very sorry when I am done.
- I vow to mindlessly pop at least one thing with WAAAY too many calories into my mouth at least once a day.
- I vow to vow that I won't do that again the next day.
- I vow to break that last vow every day.
- I vow to waste all sorts of time blogging and reading all of your blogs.
- I vow not to feel bad about that one at all!
Happy New Year!
May the joy of the Lord fill your lives for the next year and for all of eternity!