Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The $.69/lb Cure For Warts

As moms we do our best to care for our children. We love them, feed them, read to them, tickle them, kiss them, and tuck them in bed each night. And, when they need it, we take them to the doctor.
We each have our threshold for “need” in that regard. I for one, will let them snot it out, let the fever burn off the germs, and know that the cough will likely go away soon. I hope. Warts are a different story. They are gross, icky, nasty, and did you know they are a virus, and therefore contagious?
In the past, with the bigger boys, have taken them to the doctor to have those little buggers burned off- to a tune of $130 each visit. OK. I think I mentioned that warts are gross and contagious. This summer we dealt with another bout of warts with our girls and our baby boy. All three of them had plantar warts. We took them each to the doctor for a treatment or two. Those darn warts would not go away.
We farmed our kids out for a weekend early in the summer, and we left our youngest son with my sister for the weekend. She is the one who taught me the $.69/lb cure. You probably already have everything you need.


First, feed your child a banana just before they brush their teeth before bed.
Second, cut a small piece of banana peel just big enough to cover the wart.
Third, place peel over the wart with the inside to the skin and tape in place with medical tape If the wart is in a tricky spot, use Coban tape, which sticks to itself but not the skin, to wrap as much of the area as needed to keep the banana peel in place.
Fourth, put your child to bed.
Fifth, in the morning, remove the banana peel, but don’t wash the area. IT WILL LOOK GROSS. If it will be visible and this will bother you, cover it loosely with a band-aid.
Sixth, After bath time, buff lightly with a foot file and start over.


After about a week, you should be able to file the wart right off.
We have had some really nasty and difficult warts that would not respond to any other treatment disappear within a week.
I have just saved you a few co-pays. You’re welcome.

12 comments:

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Uh... yuck! I haven't dealt with warts yet, but when/if I do... I'll try to remember the banana trick! Sounds a lot better than having them burned off for $130!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

We haven't had warts - but I used to have them all the time as a child. And then there was that gross medical show about the guy with the weak immune system with the warts all over his body. Ewww.

I wonder what is in the banana peel that helps to get rid of the warts...

Unknown said...

Essie had one for YEARS - but no one ever got it (it was a plantar in her foot) and finally.. it just went away....

I had one once - I killed it myself but I won't say how cause it's not for the squimish.

Julie said...

My hubby has one now he is trying to deal with. I have also heard about putting duck tape around it for a month and it will go away. A nurse told a friend of mine whose son has warts on his hands. I will let my hubby know and see how this works for him...thanks!!!

Sheri said...

The Duck tape trick works . . . I've also heard of taping an aspirin to it, but you know what worked for me?

In high school, I had 14 on one hand, and 17 on the other. After 2 trips of having them frozen off, only to have them come right back, a family friend told us about this one.

Every day, rub each wart for 10 seconds and tell it to go away. And you know what? It worked!! I know, crazy, but it did. And, 5 years later when I had another one come up, I did the same thing, and it was gone in 2 weeks.

Lee Ann said...

My hubby has used duct tape. It works but takes a while. You can also buy stuff to "freeze" it off. It works too...and while not as cheap as a banana peal, it may not look as gross.

Gina said...

We tried the freezing stuff. It was just a waste of time and money!

Heather said...

No way!! We haven't gotten a wart yet, but it's just a matter of time. I used to get them as a kid all the time. I'm so glad to know this!!

The Farmer Files said...

You are so funny!!! Much aloha from Hawaii! I have never heard of this banana trick! But I will keep it in mind!

Lula! said...

Ewwwwwww, Gina.

This is so disgustingly fabulous. I love it! You are so the Martha Stewart of warts.

Desi said...

Oh that is an awesome remedy! I'll be waiting for that first wart to try it!

Elena said...

Fascinating. We don't have warts here, but if and when one pops up, I'll know what to do. Thanks!