Monday, September 8, 2008

Whew!

That was me sighing in relief.
Why?
The 11 year old just started his second week of homeschooling, and guess what?
Week one was fabulous!

On the first day we set up his space the way he wanted it. Next we drew up a contract. I Love that thing. We brainstormed all the good and bad behaviours we could think of, and all the consequences and rewards that we thought should go with them, and we wrote it all out and signed it. He has a copy hanging on his school wall and I have a copy in my lesson planning binder. No excuses.
I wrote out his lesson plan and he just went to work. He was at it at 9 am everyday last week. With out being told.
The best part? He's happy. When he's done with school, he's done. No homework hanging over his head, no raging because he has had an awful day. Just my happy, funny, charming boy!

6 comments:

Lauren W said...

Yay! That's so great :D
I'm so glad that you've found something that works so well for your kid and for you :)

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Good for both of you. I am thinking that I need to do a contract. We had so much drama last week on Thursday and Friday that Katie spent most of her Sunday trying to catch up on school work. And even today she still has a few loose ends to wrap up. Hence my lack of a week in review. We are not done yet!

Julie said...

that is so great! It is always better when they like school!

Lee Ann said...

So glad he's happy! I hope it continues all year.

Trish said...

Yay!!

You are a great mom to see the needs of your child and work to meet them all the while giving him the tools and responsibilities to succeed!!

He'll be successful and probably famous someday and you'll look back and realize it was all worth it.

Debbie said...

I was wondering how it was going! I am so glad it is working out well!