Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dear Son;


You are 14 now.
To be honest, when you were 12 I thought I might sell you to the gypsies. Or kill you. But I managed not to do either, and I am glad.
Oh, you know we still have our moments- let's not pretend we don't. They still come more frequently than I would like. But then there are the other moments. There are the moments when we stand side by side and have a mature conversation. When you enlighten me with your compendium of useless knowledge. When you take initiative.
I was impressed the other day that you seamlessly brought your brother and sister into your circle of influence. I liked the way you made sure to show them how to get to school on time on their first day of middle school. I was even more impressed that you included them in your teen hang out scene. It was almost like a rite of passage and you initiated them into the "club."
Sometimes, I still wish a 14 year old was a man with a trade. Sometimes, I still think you haven't got a clue. But most of the time I think, "You are all right. I like you."

Love, Mom

6 comments:

Frizzy said...

Oh the teenage years. They grow and stretch us all. I wonder, is it harder being a teenager or a parent of one? What do you think?

Gramma 2 Many said...

When did that happen? When did he turn 14? Where is the little boy that wanted to live with Gramma? He did not even spend a week with me this year. I noticed, believe me I did! I love you to Jess, you are amazing to say the very least:)

Anonymous said...

Yep, my daughter is 12 & selling her to the gypsies has crossed my mind a few times! Glad to know it might get better :)

Gina said...

It has to get better. They eventually move out!

bobbie said...

I'm glad to know that selling them to the gypsies is an option. :)

Lee Ann said...

Love your honesty :) Let's not pretend......