Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Maid Service For Under $10

I know they should do it anyway, but sometimes my kids just need a little extra incentive- especially when they have friends over. The beauty of this system is that everyone participates.
I don't really care who I give the money to as long as the jobs are done.
This is a great system for kids ages 3 to about 10 years old.

Start with a big jar.
Write all the jobs you want done on slips of paper.
They cannot be "Clean the living room," but. rather they should be components of a larger job. Therefore, "clean the living room" becomes:
"Put away things that don't belong in the living room"
"vacuum living room rug"
"sweep living room"
"dust living room"

Each job is worth a quarter. The amount of money each kid makes is determined by the speed they work.


Jonah quit when he had 2 quarters. He's 5. I guess 50 cents was enough for him.


One of the friends decided she wanted a dollar, so she did 4 jobs.


Eventually, everything got clean.

And then we had ice cream.

5 comments:

Gramma 2 Many said...

Are you breaking any child labor laws allowing the neighbors child to clean your bathroom?
Looks very nice:)

Elena said...

OOOOHHH! I LOVE this idea! hmmmm.....going to go see how many quarters I can find laying around the house.

Lee Ann said...

This is such a good idea! I don't mind a little reward, especially for extra jobs. I just don't like them to ask me for money every time I ask them to pick something up! :)

Lee Ann said...

Oh and I love the 1/2 curtains in your kitchen. I've been trying to think of something like that. Looks like they still let in some light which is what I want!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

One could have create a second jar with varying rewards including ice cream for everyone to create team spirit.