Thursday, October 31, 2013

Moving On...And How To Pack Seven Lunches

...Because it's my blog.  And if I need a nine moth break before I can look at it again that's my prerogative.
ANYWAY...
I always look at the lunches I make and shake my head at how much food it takes to pull this off for 6 or 7 people.
I mean, look at my counter.


 I do it for a couple of reasons:

  1. I'm cheap.
  2. I want my family to eat marginally good food- I am not a health nut, but neither do I want them eating out or all the junk they serve in the school cafeteria.
  3. We have a lot of behavior altering allergies.  I need to know what some of them ate, so that if they go "off" I can eliminate the suspect item(s).
  4. I'm cheap.



 This is Levi's lunch.  He's 3 and doesn't have a very big tummy.  He gets some yogurt, half an apple sliced into thin slices, and some Goldfish Puffs

Abby, my gluten free girl, gets gf crackers, chicken salad (with the rest of that apple diced small and mixed in), home canned peaches, and Goldfish Puffs

Caleb doesn't appreciate chicken salad, so he gets lunch meat and cheese.

Jonah, bless his socks off, eats pretty much whatever I put in his lunch.  Since chicken salad makes the bread soggy, I just lightly toast the bread and bag it up, then I send the chicken in a small container.

Sebastian neither appreciates apples in his chicken salad, nor Goldfish crackers.  He got lunch meat loaded with veggies, chips and salsa, and peaches.  He'll be a happy man.  He's actually the easiest one to pack for since he will take left overs as long as I remember the fork.

Jesse and Elizabeth both have pretty much the same chicken sandwich lunch as everyone else, so I spared you the picture.

Here is everything in the fridge ready for a lunch box reload in the morning, and they just have to grab a bottle and put some juice in it.
My mom and I sewed some cute lunch boxes for the kids this year.  They were a variation on this tutorial.  We made these to fit around a wipie tub with no lid so that if something spilled, I could just pull out the tub and clean it, and not have the bag be so wet.  Also, there is no disgusting vinyl to crack and mold, and these are completely machine wash and dryable.

 
As a side note, I found these in the grocery store and Levi and I decided they would be a good snack,  They are not terribly expensive as far as a bag of chips/crackers goes.  I think they were just under $3.


THEN, I turned the package around to look at the ingredients, and this is what I saw! 
Hallelujah!  Abby and I can eat them!  And now, that $3 bag of Goldfish became a screaming deal.  Do you know how expensive prepackaged gf snacks are?  They are usually 2x the price of their traditional counterparts, and 1/2 the size.
...
I was so thrilled that I took the time to comment on the Pepperidge Farm website.  I am kind of hoping they reward my enthusiasm. *ahem*
So, that, my friends is how you pack 7 lunches.

2 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

You are superwoman! I can't imagine packing seven lunches in one day. That's 35 lunches a week. Oh my gosh!

I love the lunch totes--so cute!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Lots of love means not cheap:)